Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Mother Taught Me To Always Speak Up


I’m not going to lie, being the youngest of three children definitely has its advantages. Other than practically growing up with two sets of parents, one thing that always stood out was the incredible advice I was always given from both my siblings and parents–great advice that made me prepared to tackle any new adventure and challenge head on. If it wasn’t for the incredible encouragement they have instilled in me, I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to live abroad for a year or move across the country.

In honor of Mother’s Day, I wanted to take a moment to honor my mom by sharing the best piece of advice she has ever given me: always speak up, especially when something is wrong. My mom exemplified her advice while I was growing up, and it has become an integral part of who I am today.

When I was about nine years old, my mom told me about the art of speaking up about issues that you’re passionate about, because if no one does, who will? My hometown in California had plans to take down most of the trees in the town, really one of the most beautiful attributes of that neighborhood. My family and I were furious, so with my mom’s encouragement and dad’s first instinct, I went around my neighborhood collecting signatures to overturn the city’s decision. We succeeded, and 13 years later, those trees are still standing.

A little more than a year ago, I worked in the Los Angeles mayoral race, a city with one of the lowest voter turnout rates. With the goal of changing the way politics work in Los Angeles, I went with my team to speak to voters in underserved communities to listen to their concerns, and by doing this action, we registered people to vote in more than 12 neighborhoods across the city.

Although these actions are just a few examples, they continue to resonate with me. I learned if one speaks up for change in a community, the results could be mesmerizing. Having strong multicultural female leaders, such as my fearless mom who has built the bridge between English and Spanish speakers in Los Angeles by serving as a Court Interpreter, my strong sister who is standing up for independent family farmers and protecting a healthy and productive food supply for American consumers, and my wise grandma who served our nation in the Kennedy Administration, has empowered me to want to continue making our world a better place.

These are the types of values that I still hold dear to my heart and can play a role in everyone’s careers. The acts of being self-aware and open to new challenges are attributes that will take you far in your career, and I thank my mom for teaching and establishing this in me at such a young age.

As you are thinking about the wonderful advice your mom or an important woman in your life has given you, just remember it has impacted you in some way, shape, or form, so take the time to thank them. If I ever have kids one day, I hope to be just as fearless as my mom and pass along the same qualities she instilled in me.

Read the original article on Levo League.

No comments:

Post a Comment